Re: Incremental backup from a streaming replication standby fails

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Incremental backup from a streaming replication standby fails
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2024-07-19 at 12:59 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
Thanks for looking at this.

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 11:32 AM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> > I think it would be enough just to add a hint such as:
> >
> > HINT: this is possible when making a standby backup with little or no
> > activity.
>
> That could work (with "this" capitalized).
>
> > My guess is in production environments this will be uncommon.
>
> I think so too, but when it does happen, confusion may be common.

I guess this will most likely happen during tests like the one I made.

I'd be alright with the hint, but I'd say "during making an *incremental*
standby backup", because that's the only case where it can happen.

I think it would also be sufficient if we document that possibility.
When I got the error, I looked at the documentation of incremental
backup for any limitations with standby servers, but didn't find any.
A remark in the documentation would have satisfied me.

Yours,
Laurenz