Re: ID column naming convention

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: ID column naming convention
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Oct 13, 2015, at 18:27, droberts <david.roberts@riverbed.com> wrote:
>
> Gavin Flower-2 wrote
>>> On 14/10/15 06:36, droberts wrote:
>>> Hi, is there a problem calling ID's different when used as a FK vs table
>>> ID?
>>> For example
>>>

>>> mydimtable ()
>>>  ID
>>>  name
>>>  description
>>>

>>> myfacttable ()
>>>   my_dim_id   # FK to ID above
>>>   total_sales
>>>

>>> I 'think' if I don't enforce foreign key constraints, then this practice
>>> prevents tools from being able to generate ERD diagrams right?
>>>

>>> --
>> My practice is to name the PRIMARY KEY as id, and foreign keys with the
>> original table name plus the sufiix_id.
>>
>> By leaving the table name off the primary key name, and just using id,
>> makes it more obvious that it is a primary key (plus it seems redundant
>> to prefix the primary key name with its own table name!).
>>
>> CREATE TABLE house
>> (
>>     id      int PRIMARY KEY,
>>     address text
>> );
>>
>> CREATE TABLE room
>> (
>>     id       int PRIMARY KEY,
>>     house_id int REFERENCES house(id),
>>     name     text
>> );
>>

>> There are exceptions like:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE human
>> (
>>     id        int PRIMARY KEY,
>>     mother_id int REFERENCES human (id),
>>     father_id int REFERENCES human (id),
>>     name      text
>> );
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Gavin
>>

>> --
>
> Thanks.   My only question is how do you create a schema diagram (ERD) then?
> The tool won't know what the relationships are unless maybe you put foreign
> key constraints on.
That's how most tools work, usually by calling the driver api (jdbc databasemetadata, etc....) which in turn look at
theinformation_schema. If you don't setup real referential integrity, any tool that can use names is just guessing

   I think dbvisualizer will 'infer' based on column names.  I KNOW that schemaspy has this option, but they explicitly
noteit is a GUESS.

   Use foreign keys.