Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Дата
Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Jun 2024, David G. Johnston wrote:

> Because you specified company_name in the column listing for the things
> you are inserting values for. So in column position 2 you must have a
> value than can be inserted into the company_name column. It is utterly
> immaterial how you specified the value for column position 1.

> We can't help you understand if you don't show a complete working example
> and ask a question in relation to that example.  I suggest you start from
> scratch, this time using scripts, so that your work is recorded and
> replayable.

David,

INSERT into companies (company_nbr,company_name,industry,status) VALUES
(DEFAULT,'A new company name', 'Manufacturing',DEFAULT);

I always write scrips for SQL, R, GRASS, Python, bash. Above is a redacted
version of the single name I tried adding to the companies table.

Yesterday, before learning to use DEFAULT for the company_nbr PK I entered
all rows using company_nbr 2342-2391. This morning, after running the
single-line INSERT command company numbers from 2341-2392 all had 'A new
company name' as the company_name.

HTH,

Rich

Сообщение: Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Сообщение: Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows