Re: COPY formatting

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: COPY formatting
Дата
Re: COPY formatting  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Lee Kindness wrote:
>> To be honest this idea strikes me as overkill - over
>> engineering.
>>
> I agree. My modest proposal for handling CSVs would be to extend the
> DELIMITER parameter to allow up to 3 characters - separator, quote and
> escape. Escape would default to the quote char and the quote char would
> default to unspecified.

I could go with that too.  The question here is do we have any popular
use-cases that aren't solved by that extension, but could be solved by
simple user-level data formatting functions?  I'm not real eager to add
such a feature as an "if we build it they will come" speculation, but
if anyone can point to solid use-cases besides handling CSV, then it
probably is worth doing.