Re: COPY formatting

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: COPY formatting
Дата
Re: COPY formatting  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: COPY formatting  (Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Lee Kindness wrote:

>To be honest this idea strikes me as overkill - over
>engineering. While there is a clear need for proper CSV import
>(i.e. just setting DELIMITER to ',' doesn't work due to ','s in
>strings) I cannot see how this would prove useful, or who would use
>it?

I agree. My modest proposal for handling CSVs would be to extend the
DELIMITER parameter to allow up to 3 characters - separator, quote and
escape. Escape would default to the quote char and the quote char would
default to unspecified. This would involve no grammar changes and fairly
isolated and small code changes, I believe. In the most common CSV cases
you would just use $$,"$$ or $$,'$$. :-)

COPY is basically line/tuple oriented, and that alone would exclude many
file formats (e.g. imagine wanting to import a spreadsheet where each
worksheet was the table name and the first row on each worksheet was the
field names - I have seen such beasts more than once). If we want a
general facility for loading and exporting foreign file formats, I
really believe that is the province of a utility program rather than a
database engine function.

The reason in my mind for making CSV a special case is that it is very
easy to do and so often asked for.

(I used to set parsing CSVs as a basic programming exercise - it is
amazing how many way people find to get it wrong).

cheers

andrew

От: Silvio Mazzaro
Сообщение: Re: Problem on cluster initialization
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: COPY formatting