Re: Large Objects

От Jürgen Purtz
Тема Re: Large Objects
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
My first concern is compatibility with the SQL standard - not the
performance issues. Summarising the actual thread and mail
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJNY3ivGORG1JSjZmop6k_OCJiLop5UCrWkm6NtwEVZhZpFRUw%40mail.gmail.com
(ff.) I want to state:

- There are 3 (main) character data types: a) character with fixed
length b) character with variable size and a fix upper length limit and
c) character with variable size and undeclared (but implementation
dependent) upper length limit.

- Types a) and b) are named identical in the standard and in Postgres
(CHAR/VARCHAR). Data type c) is named CLOB in the standard and TEXT in
Postgres. Why this different wording, if there is no real difference
between the terms?

- Our documentation says that Postgres does not support feature T041 of
the standard. But functions like LENGTH, LOWER, TRIM, UPPER,
CONCATENATION, ... works well on TEXT.

Do we have some people in the standardisation committees (ANSI, BSI,
DIN, JISC, ...), who represents the Postgres interests at this level?

Kind regards, Jürgen