Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> writes:
> I tried changing the sleep command in the script to 2, but at boot it
> still says [FAILED].
> even though the script reports it failed, the db is up an running.

This seems to happen for some people and not others.  I've been wanting
to find out how the heck it can take multiple seconds for the postmaster
to start and create its pid-file ... that shouldn't take long at all.
Are you willing to try strace'ing the postmaster?  Modify the script
like
$SU -l postgres -c "strace -tt -o /tmp/strace.out $PGENGINE/postmaster -p '$PGPORT' -D '$PGDATA' ${PGOPTS} &" >>
"$PGLOG"2>&1 < /dev/null                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ add this ^^^^^^

and reboot.  (After you've gotten a trace of a failing case, change it
back and reboot again.)

This is kind of invasive and may change the behavior enough that we
don't see the problem :-( --- but if you're willing to reboot a few
times in hopes of capturing a trace of a failed case, it'd be worth
trying.