Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> writes:
>

>>I tried changing the sleep command in the script to 2, but at boot it
>>still says [FAILED].
>>even though the script reports it failed, the db is up an running.
>>

>This seems to happen for some people and not others.  I've been wanting
>to find out how the heck it can take multiple seconds for the postmaster
>to start and create its pid-file ... that shouldn't take long at all.
>Are you willing to try strace'ing the postmaster?  Modify the script
>like
>
>    $SU -l postgres -c "strace -tt -o /tmp/strace.out $PGENGINE/postmaster -p '$PGPORT' -D '$PGDATA' ${PGOPTS} &" >>
"$PGLOG"2>&1 < /dev/null

>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ add this ^^^^^^
>
>and reboot.  (After you've gotten a trace of a failing case, change it
>back and reboot again.)
>
>This is kind of invasive and may change the behavior enough that we
>don't see the problem :-( --- but if you're willing to reboot a few
>times in hopes of capturing a trace of a failed case, it'd be worth
>trying.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,
I added the strace line like you said and rebooted, it did display the
[FAILED] after the reboot.
I put the resulting strace.out file on my web server, here is the
link(warning it's petty big):
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/downloads/strace.out

After the second reboot I changed the sleep from 2 to 5 and then it
worked correctly, of course this really slowed the boot process.

Thanks,

Tony