Re: CPU-intensive autovacuuming

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: CPU-intensive autovacuuming
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Phil Endecott <spam_from_postgresql_general@chezphil.org> writes:
> (Incidentally, I have also found that the indexes on my pg_attributes
> table were taking up over half a gigabyte, which came down to less than
> 40 megs after reindexing them.  Is there a case for having autovacuum
> also call reindex?)

Lots of temp tables I suppose?  If so that's not autovacuum's fault;
it wasn't getting told about the activity in pg_attribute until this
patch:

    * src/backend/postmaster/: pgstat.c (REL7_4_STABLE), pgstat.c
    (REL8_0_STABLE), pgstat.c: Flush any remaining statistics counts
    out to the collector at process exit.  Without this, operations
    triggered during backend exit (such as temp table deletions) won't
    be counted ... which given heavy usage of temp tables can lead to
    pg_autovacuum falling way behind on the need to vacuum pg_class and
    pg_attribute.  Per reports from Steve Crawford and others.

Unless the bloat occurred after you updated to 8.0.2, there's no issue.