Re: BUG #9337: SSPI/GSSAPI with mismatched user names

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #9337: SSPI/GSSAPI with mismatched user names
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Brian Crowell <brian@fluggo.com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Brian Crowell <brian@fluggo.com> wrote:
>> I humbly resubmit my ticket-in-the-startup-packet suggestion, which
>> I'd hope would be easier, especially since any program not supplying
>> it would fall back to the standard challenge auth mechanism.

> Tell you what.

> Our company is not to the point of needing anything like this, I was
> just helping out the Npgsql people. But if we should get to the point
> that we'd want it, would you accept patches that implemented this sort
> of shortcut authentication?

As a new feature it would need discussion, and I'm not real sure that
it's sensible even in theory.  In our model, until you've identified the
relevant pg_hba.conf entry you don't know which Kerberos server to talk to
to validate the ticket.

If it's possible to extract a principal name from a ticket without
contacting the server, then that objection fails ... but if that were
the case then I suppose you'd not be here looking for a solution.

I suppose you could propose some additional configuration settings
that would be looked at in advance of the pg_hba.conf lookup to allow
extraction of a user name from a supplied ticket.  However, that would
greatly expand the potential for DOS attacks based on launching bogus
startup packets at a postmaster (since the computation needed before
rejecting a packet is greatly increased if we have to contact some
Kerberos server).  Not sure if that objection is fatal or not.