Re: PITR as Online Backup Solution

От Thomas F. O'Connell
Тема Re: PITR as Online Backup Solution
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 16:38 -0600, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
>> Ideally, I'd be able to take a base backup of a production system,
>> copy it to a remote system, which is also the repository for segment
>> files generated by archive_command, and complete the recovery process
>> outlined in the docs. From that point, it would make sense to me that
>> I should be able to continuously replay WAL files against the new
>> database (possibly as soon as archive_command generates a new one)
>> without having to purge my data directory. Is that a reasonable
>> assumption?
>
> Yes, it was designed to be able to do this.

 From the docs, I'm having a hard time determining which steps to
edit or omit in order to execute this scenario. Is it possible for
you (or anyone else on the list) to present an extension of section
23.3.3 <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-
online.html#BACKUP-PITR-RECOVERY> that covered the continuous replay
scenario? I'd be happy to help contribute a patch to the docs once I
understand the procedure a bit better.

>> For instance, it's not
>> immediately clear from the docs what happens to the segment files
>> after recovery_command runs during the recovery scenario. It says
>> those segments are copied from the archive directory, but then what?
>> Are they recycled as in a basic postgres installation?
>
> They overwrite each other, thus avoiding a build up of logs. It is
> designed to support "infinite" recovery.

Is there any management of this process that I'd need to account for
in related scripts, recover_command or otherwise?

> As long as you've read the documented caveats there are no design
> limitations...but I would restart from a base backup weekly, to be
> sure.
> It's all about certainty after all.

Sounds good. Thanks for the tips!

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/
3004 B Poston Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203-1314
615-260-0005 (cell)
615-469-5150 (office)
615-469-5151 (fax)

Сообщение: Re: PITR as Online Backup Solution
Сообщение: Re: PITR as Online Backup Solution