Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/10/27 9:41, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 22:02, Drouvot, Bertrand <bdrouvot@amazon.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/15/20 9:15 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you
canconfirm the sender and know the content is safe.

>>> Understood.

>>> Okay, I'm going to use errmsg_internal() for now until a better idea comes.
>>>
>>> I've attached the updated patch that fixed the translation part.
>>
>> Thanks for reviewing and helping on this patch!
>>
>> The patch tester bot is currently failing due to:
>>
>> "proc.c:1290:5: error: ‘standbyWaitStart’ may be used uninitialized in
>> this function [-Werror=maybe-uninitialized]"
>>
>> I've attached a new version with the minor change to fix it.
>>

> Thank you for updating the patch!
>
> I've looked at the patch and revised a bit the formatting etc.
>
> After some thoughts, I think it might be better to report the waiting
> time as well. it would help users and there is no particular reason
> for logging the report only once. It also helps make the patch clean
> by reducing the variables such as recovery_conflict_logged. I’ve
> implemented it in the v8 patch.

I read v8 patch. Here are review comments.

When recovery conflict with buffer pin happens, log message is output
every deadlock_timeout. Is this intentional behavior? If yes, IMO that's
not good because lots of messages can be output.

+    if (log_recovery_conflict_waits)
+        waitStart = GetCurrentTimestamp();

What happens if log_recovery_conflict_waits is off at the beginning and
then it's changed during waiting for the conflict? In this case, waitStart is
zero, but log_recovery_conflict_waits is on. This may cause some problems?

+            if (report_waiting)
+                ts = GetCurrentTimestamp();

GetCurrentTimestamp() doesn't need to be called every cycle
in the loop after "logged" is true and "new_status" is not NULL.

+extern const char *get_procsignal_reason_desc(ProcSignalReason reason);

Is this garbage?

When log_lock_waits is enabled, both "still waiting for ..." and "acquired ..."
messages are output. Like this, when log_recovery_conflict_waits is enabled,
not only "still waiting ..." but also "resolved ..." message should be output?
The latter message might not need to be output if the conflict is canceled
due to max_standby_xxx_delay parameter. The latter message would be
useful to know how long the recovery was waiting for the conflict. Thought?
It's ok to implement this as a separate patch later, though.

+        Controls whether a log message is produced when the startup process
+        is waiting longer than longer than <varname>deadlock_timeout</varname>.

Typo: "longer than longer than" should be "longer than".

Probably the section about hot standby in high-availability.sgml would need
to be updated.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao