Re: Real vs Float & 32bit vs 64bit CPU Performance Question

От Alex Stapleton
Тема Re: Real vs Float & 32bit vs 64bit CPU Performance Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Depending on how your version of PG was built, there will probably be
hardly any difference in speed as far as the CPU is concerned as the
FPU should be happy with both, and I think MMX/MMX2/SSE/SSE2/3dNow!
have some relevant optimisations for that sort of thing as well. You
will be transferring twice as much data around though, so you might
max out your memory bandwidth sooner than you would otherwise. I
think the general recommendation is to use doubles over floats in
most cases for everything days.

Of course if you do find that your performance sucks with doubles,
FLOATs are only are a "quick" ALTER TABLE away if you don't need the
precision.