Re: uppercase = lowercase

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: uppercase = lowercase
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> We get this question a lot, usually from folks converting from mysql.
> Do any of the core folks think this is worth adding to contrib? Or
> perhaps a project on gborg would be more appropriate?

In the long run, the correct SQL-spec-compliant solution is selectable
collation for each column, and then you could specify a case-insensitive
collation for the columns you want to act this way.  But I don't really
foresee that happening in the near future :-(.  In the meantime, a
specialized datatype seems like an okay hack.

I'd not favor putting it into the core distribution, because that would
amount to a commitment to support it indefinitely, which I don't want
to make.  contrib would be iffy for the same reason --- contrib tends
to have a subtext of "this might be mainstream someday, if it gets
polished up".  gborg, no problem.

But that's just my $0.02.  Comments anyone?