Re: A bit confused about Postgres Plus

От Dave Page
Тема Re: A bit confused about Postgres Plus
Дата
Re: A bit confused about Postgres Plus  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,

These are really questions for us (EnterpriseDB rather than
pgsql-general) - especially as none of the pricing or support pages
are linked directly from postgresql.org.

> as the Enterprise DB distribution ("One Click Installer") seems to be the
> recommendation from the Postgres team for a binary download, I wonder what
> the exact difference between Postgres and Postgres Plus is.

The one-click installer is the pure open source installer that we
build for the community.

There are two versions of Postgres Plus:

- Standard Server (or just Postgres Plus) is also pure Open Source,
but comes bundled with additional software that is not in the
PostgreSQL installer - for example, ODBC/JDBC drivers, Slony and
PostGIS.

- Advanced Server is not Open Source, and includes our Oracle
compatibility, replication/migration tools, GridSQL, DBA Management
Server and other tools.

(note that features vary slightly by platform).

> I can't find a direct comparison ("feature matrix") of the three
> EnterpriseDB offerings on their website. When I click on the Postgres Plus
> documentation, there is a link to an "Oracle Compatibility Guide" which even
> includes references to the implementation of the CONNECT BY operator and a
> PL/SQL compatible language.
> Does this mean, these features are available in the Postgres Plus package,
> or is it still only available in the Advanced Server?

See the 'What version is right for you' section of
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/overview.do

> I also find the Pricing overview page a bit confusing. The "Support
> Limitations" show "Non-Production Applications only" for Postgres and
> Postgres Plus. I assume this limitation only refers to the support
> subscription but not to the usage of those products, right?

Yeah, that is a little confusing. I think what it's trying to tell you
is what amount of support you get for the subscription level you buy
*should you choose to buy support from us*. Obviously you do not have
to buy anything from us to use the PostgreSQL or Postgres Plus
Standard Server packages for development or production.

I'll ask the marketing folks to look at improving that.

--
Dave Page