Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps

От Gokulakannan Somasundaram
Тема Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Simon,<br />             Looks like a novel idea. I just want to confirm my understanding of the proposal.<br />a)
Thisproposal would work for the kind of table organizations which are currently partitioned and maintained based on
somekind of timestamp. Consider one of the use-case. A large Retail firm has a lot of stores. DBA maintains and updates
theinventories of those stores in hash-partitions based on store-no. As the inventory gets updated, the corresponding
partitionreceives the update and it goes like that.. <br />        Here all the partitions are going to get constantly
updated.So no partition can possibly become a read only partition. You have clearly called it out in your para. i am
justre-confirming on that. Or do you have something for this in your soln.? <br /><br />To my limited experience, most
partitionstrategies are based on some form of time-stamp. If the proposed soln. can cater to those, it has lot of