Re: could not bind IPv4 socket

От Balaji Kasthurirangan
Тема Re: could not bind IPv4 socket
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Tom,

Excellent. My system network configuration has some problem. Thanks for your response.
The issue is now solved and the steps taken
1)uncommented ip and port from the postgresql conf file in the data directory and gave
valid values of 127.0.0.1 and 5432(default)

2)did run ifconfig lo0 localhost.(setting loopback)

Though the network problem still persists(for which i shall take assistance from freebsd group), the postgresql server started and i was able to create database and connect to the server using psql.

Thanks once again for your response.

Thanks,
Balaji.

"Balaji Kasthurirangan" <kasthurirangan.balaji@gmail.com> writes:
> when i try to start the server i get the following error message

> LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Can't assign requested address
> HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few
> seconds and retry
> WARNING: could not create listen socket for "localhost"
> FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets

I'm thinking you have a networking or DNS configuration problem.
If you do "nslookup localhost" does it come back with "127.0.0.1"?