Application user name attribute on connection pool

От
Тема Application user name attribute on connection pool
Дата
Re: Application user name attribute on connection pool  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm not member of this list, but because the 9th version of PostgreSQL is
incoming, I would like to ask if there is possibility to add session
property of application user - this property, in contrast to login name,
should be setted by driver (e.g. JDBC) to current user logged into
application server. This for example, will allow triggers to store real
user name in history tables or log subsystem (in future) to write who
deleted this or that. Similarly solution is in Oracle.

I would like to ask, about your opinion about numeric type. I implemented
binary read for numeric type in JDBC and I saw, that numeric type is stored
inside database as array of shorts no greater then nbase (currently 10000).
In my opinion this isn't high performance method for two reasons:
1. Arithmetic operations could take more time.
2. It's generally about JDBC and other drivers, transmitting numeric value
is complicated and leaks performance for client side, as for long numbers
many multiplications and additions must occur.
I think about writing something like numeric2 which internally will be
represented as the array of ints without nbase. In this context I would
like to ask about your opinion
1. If this behaviour can be useful? I imagine performance increase on
storing and retrieving values, similarly arithmetic should be faster.
 (currently 10001 + 10001 requires 4 operations: 2 additions of 1, and 2
additions of 1 from 1*10000 and carry move operations, if this value will
be stored without nbase, with full bits then addition even in short will
take 1 operation 10001+10001 + carry move).
2. Will this decrease other performances? I think that text processing
will be much slower, but will this decrease engine performance, as the text
conversion is required when creating type?

Kind regards,
Radek.

Сообщение: Netsted views working on same set of data on 8.1.21 but not on 8.4.4