Setting CLIENT_MIN_MESSAGES dynamically...

От Eamonn Kent
Тема Setting CLIENT_MIN_MESSAGES dynamically...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Hi,

My config file has the following setting:

log_min_messages = fatal

This setting assures that postgres logging is minimal.  However, I would like to change this setting dynamically – while our embedded application is running, without restarting postgres.  For example, in the case where the application appears to be running sluggishly, I would like to change this setting to debug1 so that I can collect detailed information.  The problem is the SET command applies only to the current session:

set log_min_messages='debug1';

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Currently, we  have postgres generate a lot of debug messages (debug1) and then have syslog filter the messages as required.  This works since I can edit the syslog.conf and restart syslog independent of our application.  This is a less than ideal situation since we normally don’t want postgres producing lots of log data (wasting cpu)  since we require it only when doing debugging.

Thanks

Ike