Re: Online Oracle to Postgresql data migration

От Josh Harrison
Тема Re: Online Oracle to Postgresql data migration
Дата
Re: Online Oracle to Postgresql data migration  (Robert Treat <robert@omniti.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On Jan 11, 2008 1:22 PM, Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> wrote:

On Jan 11, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 12:02 PM, Josh Harrison <joshques@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> We have an Oracle production database with some terbytes of data.
>> We wanted
>> to migrate that to Postgresql (rigt now...a test database and not
>> production) database.
>> What are the good options to do that?
>> Please advise me on where to look for more information on this topic
>
> You're going to need to use your brain for a fair portion of this,
> because how you use oracle will be just different enough from everyone
> else that no boxed solution.
>
> You have two steps to work on.  The first is the DDL, to create
> equivalent tables in pgsql as in oracle, the second is to migrate over
> your data.
>
> I've generally done the ddl conversion by hand in an editor, and
> migrated data over with some scripting language like perl or php.

Another option is to talk to the folks at EnterpriseDB as Oracle-
Postgres compatibility is their specialty.

I had done this with the test database. For ddl generation I used xml/xsl and for data migration I used jdbc. I can get the ddl generated fine. With JDBC the data migration is a bit slow.
My question is abt the data migration. Im not sure how to try this with an online oracle database. We are required to run both postgres and oracle database simultaneously for a couple of months (atleast till we decide whether we are going to shut down oracle for good !!!). Since the oracle database is a production database, It will have updates/inserts during this time. How do you manage that?

Thanks
josh