HELP please..

От jp_santosa@yahoo.com (Santosa Budi)
Тема HELP please..
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dear friends,

I installed v7.2.3 on Redhat 8.0 and now getting some problem. I used
the installation steps provided in v7.2.3. After installation, I found
an installation steps online, as below:

1. Download source file in tgz and unpack
2. Create user account to serve the DBA's account
3. do ./configure with selected options
4. use gmake to build binaries
5. gmake install to install the binaries into location selected
6. Set the proper PATH for libraries and binaries
7. Create directory to hold the databases, change the owner, like the
following:

   # mkdir /usr/local/pgsl/data
   # chown user /usr/local/pgsl/data
   # su - user
   % /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsl/data

8. Start postmaster
9. As the DBS, create the users using 'createuser' command
10. Switch to the user you created and create the databases 'createdb'

It looks the same, but I forgot (did not do) step 2. I thought that OK
because
I planned to use my account-name as user. Until step 8 that was OK,
and seem automatically my account-name became a user. When I tried
step 9, which I used my account-name as user, there is a message: the
"user" has been created and exist. User creation failled. I thought
that was OK, since I can createdb and do some exercises on database
testDB (I did: user% createdb testDB).

But.. after I shutdown the redhat 8.0 and I boot at next time, the
"user" (my account-name) does not exist for database's user.

   user% psql testDB

and I got the message something like "the user 'user' does not exist.
psql stopped".

So.. could you please help me, how I can solve this problem? Have I
'reinstall' and do explicitly step 2 above? (I can't use the script
'creatuser')

Thank you for some helps and advance.

sincerely,
santosa budi.-