Re: Creating a partition table

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Creating a partition table
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 12:52 -0400, John Scalia wrote:
> I have a PostgreSQL server version 11.3 that my devs are asking for some partitioned tables. I can’t seem to get the
syntaxcorrect though. My SQL code is:

> CREATE TABLE schema.temp_table
> AS (SELECT * FROM schema.original_table)
> PARTITION BY LIST(attribute_name);
>
> As what I want to do is create a copy of the current table, create the partitions on the new temp table, and when
everythingworks, drop the original table and do an alter table rename on the new

> one.
>
> The error is:
> ERROR: syntax error at or near “PARTITION”
> Line 3: PARTITION BY LIST(attribute_name);
>
> I’ve tried using the word RANGE as opposed to LIST, but the error remains. Does PostgreSQL not support a construct
likethis one or am I doing something wrong?

You cannot do that in a single step.  For one, you didn't create partitions.

Do it like this:

CREATE TABLE temp_table (LIKE original_table INCLUDING ALL) PARTITION BY LIST(attribute_name);

CREATE TABLE temp_table_1 PARTITION OF temp_table FOR VALUES IN (1);
CREATE TABLE temp_table_2_3 PARTITION OF temp_table FOR VALUES IN (2, 3);

INSERT INTO temp_table SELECT * FROM original_table;

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: John Scalia
Сообщение: Creating a partition table
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Creating a partition table