lib and share are installed differently, but why?

От Mario Emmenlauer
Тема lib and share are installed differently, but why?
Дата
Re: lib and share are installed differently, but why?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Dear All,

I've been building and using PostgreSQL from source for a few years
now, thanks for the awesome work!

Since upgrading from 12.5 to 12.8, I've found a problem that I can
not resolve myself. We build PostgreSQL twice, once to folder A, and
once to folder B. This is because A is more easily deployable, while
B holds all our development build targets. The only difference in
the two builds is the change in `--prefix` for configure. Everything
else is identical, and both builds start from a clean directory.

But I see a difference in the installations:
 - The contents of `share` go to A/share/ vs B/share/postgresql/
 - The contents of `lib` go to B/lib vs B/lib/postgresql/

I've played with all sorts of --libdir, --datarootdir and the like,
but the behaviour stays the same. I fail to understand why in the
case of --prefix=B (the target where we host a lot of other stuff),
the install will use subdirectory 'postgresql', whereas for the
--prefix=A (which is an empty directory) the install will not use
a subdirectory.

Whats more, when I try to run the server in A, initdb will complain
that the file in A/share/postgresql/postgresql.bki is missing, which
indeed is true (because the file is at A/share/postgresql.bki).

Any help would be appreciated!

All the best,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de