Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement

От Andrey Borodin
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

> 30 апр. 2018 г., в 0:48, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> написал(а):
>
> On 2018-04-25 11:31:12 +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>>
>> 1. Teaching BgWriter to used data from eviction strategy to aggressively flush data to disk (instead of
++next_to_clean)
>> 2. Implementing strategies as lock-free algorithms for freelist
>> These parts seem most important for benchmarking.
>> Also:
>> 3. Converting all rings to single buffer manager where possible
>> 4. Using O_DIRECT while writing data files
>> 5. Using aio and scheduling of writes
>> These parts are not necessary, but most challenging, while not impossible though.
>
> These largely seem to be increasing the scope beyond reason...

I suspect that performance benefits can be not that big or even marginal, if we do not extend comprehensive eviction
strategywith bgwriter fixes and O_DIRECT.
But, on the other hand, this suspicion is not based on any real fact. And if eviction strategy is actually good for
anythingit will show performance benefits on it's own.

> 30 апр. 2018 г., в 0:39, Юрий Соколов <funny.falcon@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> (btw, why no one mention CLOCK+ in this thread).

I do not know what CLOCK+ is. Can you, please, send me a reference.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.