Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER

От Gregory Williamson
Тема Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Sorry for top-posting -- challenged reader.

Can't speak directly to PostgreSQL but in Informix the fill factor is useful for tweaking indexes. A very high fill factor is useful for tables that are static -- any inserts or changes to the index trigger a *lot* of moving of b-tree branches. But the high fill factor means that each page has more useful data references in it. A very low fill factor means that pages are "sparse" and so inserts and updates are less likely to trigger massive b-tree rebalancings.

I've never used it on PostgreSQL (yet!) but am looking forward to it.

Beware of premature optimization!

HTH,

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)