Re: Disk space consumed by pk not returned after vacuum or reindex

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Disk space consumed by pk not returned after vacuum or reindex
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Oct 6, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Kevin Johnson wrote:
> You are correct, it is 7.4 we are running on a RHEL3 system.
> The database itself is vacuumed via cron 6 times a day.
>
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>> I didn't see you mention what version you're running; index bloat
>> shouldn't be a big issue in 7.4 and above. You also didn't mention
>> how often you're vacuuming the table. If you don't vacuum the
>> table frequently enough, you're going to get bloat, plain and simple.

For a heavy update load, even 6 times a day may not be enough.

Also, remember that the size you get after a REINDEX will be
unreasonably low, because there will be very little free space in the
index. That's fine if you won't be updating the table much, but
otherwise the index will have no choice but to grow.
--
Jim Nasby                                    jimn@enterprisedb.com