Re: Postgres 11 release notes

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Jun 9, 2018, at 4:35 PM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
I have committed the first draft of the Postgres 11 release notes.  I
will add more markup soon.  You can view the most current version here:

        http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-11.html

​Some thoughts:​

​As a major ​item:
""""
JIT compilation of some SQL code, including support for fast evaluation of expressions
""""

leaves me wondering what the general benefit is to the user.  Also, spelling out "Just-In-Time (JIT)" here seems warranted.

+1 for spelling it out.

Looking through past release notes[1][2], we’ve typically left the context for
the features press releases[3].

Now, as the beta press release (feature-explanation oriented) typically differs from
the major version press release (use-case/context oriented), perhaps we could
incorporate some of the elements from the beta press release into the
“Major Features” section. It would be a departure from the release notes of recent
memory, but perhaps it would be more helpful.

Thoughts?

Jonathan