Re: Tutorials on high availability Postgresql setup?

От Andy
Тема Re: Tutorials on high availability Postgresql setup?
Дата
Re: Tutorials on high availability Postgresql setup?  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-general
--- On Thu, 10/7/10, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:

> > The scenario I'm most interested in is this:
> >
> > 2 servers - a master and a hot standby. All writes are
> sent to master, reads are split between master and hot
> standby.
> >
> > 1) If the hot standby goes down, how do I redirect
> reads to the master?
>
> pgpool-II 3.0 will take care of this.
>
> > 2) If the master fails
> >     -how do I automatically
> promote the standby to master and send all reads/writes to
> the new master?
>
> This is covered by pgpool-II 3.0 as well.
>
> >     -what happens when the old
> master comes back up? Do I need to so anything to make it
> catches up to the new master?
>
> I recommend to use it a standby. Such a configuration is
> possible by
> using pgpool-II 3.0.
> --

Oh so I'd still need a proxy such as pgpool-II for HA setup?

I was thinking that with the new built-in replication in 9.0 there would be no need to use pgpool-II.

If pgpool is still necessary why not also use it for replication? What would be the advantages of using the 9.0's
built-inreplication as opposed to pgpool's replication?

Сообщение: Re: Tutorials on high availability Postgresql setup?
Сообщение: Re: Tutorials on high availability Postgresql setup?