Re: Getting to beta1

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Getting to beta1
Дата
Re: Getting to beta1  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Mar 14, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> I'm planning on writing a "Guide to HS & SR" for the beta.  Originally I
>> planned to put this in the main docs, but I couldn't figure out how to
>> fit it in there structurally.  Plus, it needs more examples, output
>> samples, and a tutorial feel.
>
> Perhaps a tutorial could go under Server Administration? Or perhaps
> under Tutorial even? It would be section I.4.

+1 for having a Tutorial chapter about setting up archiving, PITR and
replication. While at it, let's read the release notes and list other
points that the tutorial could cover too.

Do we need some more sections in Chapter 3. Advanced Features, dealing
with Exclusion Constraint, the new DO command, how to manage privileges
in a realistic examples (a superuser role shared between 2 DBAs, the
database owner, and the application which is not allowed DDL, for
example)?

A psql chapter/section would maybe fit too, with tricks such as \o then
query the catalog then \i, ON_ERROR_{STOP,ROLLBACK}, -1, -v, PGOPTIONS,
etc, like Peter did in his last blog entry.

Maybe some more admin level tutorial would be great to have too, such as
how to find what's locking, how to monitor table and index usage to
determine which indexes to drop, which to create, how to monitor
<things> (slaves lag, hitratio, transactions, I/U/D activity, you name
it).

A lot of things are described in the manual and provided in munin or
nagios plugins already, but still the Tutorial looks like a good place
to give the recipes, ready-to-go queries etc.

Regards,
--
dim

Сообщение: Re: walreceiver is uninterruptible on win32
Сообщение: Re: walreceiver is uninterruptible on win32