Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Дата
Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

 Tom> No zone1970.tab.

zone.tab is an adequate substitute - a fact which I thought was
sufficiently obvious as to not be worth mentioning.

(also see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20646 )

 Tom> I do not think we can rely on that file being there, since zic
 Tom> itself doesn't install it; it's up to packagers whether or where
 Tom> to install the "*.tab" files.

The proposed rules I suggested do work almost as well if zone[1970].tab
is absent, though obviously that's not the optimal situation. But are
there any systems which lack it? It's next to impossible to implement a
sane "ask the user what timezone to use" procedure without it.

 Tom> In general, the point I'm trying to make is that our policy should
 Tom> be "Ties are broken arbitrarily, and if you don't like the choice
 Tom> that initdb makes, here's how to fix it".

Yes, you've repeated that point at some length, and I am not convinced.
Is anyone else?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)