Re: Best filesystem

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Best filesystem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when arnaulist@andromeiberica.com (Arnau) wrote:
>    Which is the best filesystem in linux for postgresql? nowadays I'm
> using ext3, I don't know if other filesystems like XFS, reiser... would
> be better from the performance point of view.

Do you care more about performance?  Or reliability?

I think I'd rather see things 3% slower than they could perhaps be if
that diminishes the risk of suddenly losing a filesystem...

The last time I did a benchmark, I found JFS *slightly* faster than
XFS, and XFS slightly faster than ext3.  But then lost several JFS
filesystems to weird interactions between JFS and disk controller.

That was about 2 years ago; there have been new releases of both
filesystems, SCSI device drivers, as well as major kernel revisions.
It's not evident how much things have really changed.

At any rate, I would NOT put filesystem performance at the top of the
list; ability of vendors to provide support is something I would put
much higher.  That factor alone usually rules out both JFS and XFS...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html