Re: How to run PostgreSQL?

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: How to run PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") writes:
>> >  * Why should I have to configure a custom init.d script so my
>> > PostgreSQL will start?
>>
>> to gain control over the system issue.  From my perspective pg has always
>> been at the enterprise layer,
>
> This surprises me a bit. In my experience Enterprises don't compile from
> source and those that do, push it into a package so they can manage it.
>
> Wait... there is one place in the "enterprise" where I could see this
> being the case. Places that are running legacy systems like AIX or HPUX
> that don't necessarily even have a proper package management system.

There are two other scenarios that I have seen that have led us to
generally compile from sources, both with common features:

  a) Slony-I expects to be built alongside the database.

     In principle, the relevant compiled components *could* be added
     in via PGXS, but nobody has had the time to set that up; it
     hasn't seemed that valuable to do.

  b) We've got some internal data types that expect to be built in
     contrib/

     Again, we could presumably use PGXS to evade this...  Mumble...

It would be *conceivable* to build RPMs or something, but that seems
more trouble than it's worth for, erm, AIX :-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/multiplexor.html