Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
"Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42@gmail.com> writes:

> It is also possible to present block devices from NetApp over iSCSI or FC
> (I am not sure about licensing model though).  You get all the goodies
> like thin provisioning (only non-zero blocks are allocated), snapshots and
> all, but you see it as a block device.  Works fine.

Note that Postgres doesn't expect to get "out of space" errors on writes
specifically because it pre-allocates blocks. So this "thin provisioning"
thing sounds kind of dangerous.

> It is also worth to mention that NetApp utilizes somewhat "copy on write"
> write strategy -- so whenever you modify a block, new version of the block
> is written on its WAFL filesystem.  In practical terms it is quite resilient to
> random writes (and that read performance is not stellar ;)).

Again, Postgres goes to some effort to keep its reads sequential. So this
sounds like it destroys that feature. Random writes don't matter so much
because Postgres has its WAL which it writes sequentially. Writes to data
files aren't in the critical path and can finish after the transaction is
committed.

--
  Gregory Stark

Сообщение: Re: PG writes a lot to the disk
Сообщение: Re: PG writes a lot to the disk