Re: revised hstore patch

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: revised hstore patch
Дата
Re: revised hstore patch  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>> The other option would be to fix the wasted-space bug in the>> existing hstore, and document that stored data must
beupdated at>> least once subsequent to that fix before doing a binary migrate to>> 8.5.

[...]
David> Could it be that only folks with such a manifestation of theDavid> bug would need to do a binary upgrade? If so,
IcertainlyDavid> think it'd be worth it to fix the bug.

Let's go through the options.

A)    - don't fix the wasted-space bug (or don't rely on it, anyway)    - change the new format to be more
distinguishableResult:    - seamless binary upgrade for contrib/hstore users    - users of unreleased CVS hstore-new
willhave to ensure all      values are updated after installing a release version and      before doing a binary
upgradeto 8.5

B)    - fix the wasted-space bug    - leave the new format as-is Result:    - seamless binary upgrade for hstore-new
users   - contrib/ users will have to remove wasted space from at least      any hstore with a zero-length key before
doinga binary upgrade

To me (A) is looking like the obvious choice (the people smart enough
to be using hstore-new from CVS already can handle the minor pain of
updating the on-disk format).

Unless I hear any objections I will proceed accordingly...

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)