Re: rsync and streaming replication

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: rsync and streaming replication
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Jean-Armel Luce <jaluce06@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Postgres 9.0.3 in production with Slony 2.0.6 for replication.
> I am currently testing the streaming replication with 9.0.3.? My database contains 100 GBytes of data (6000 tables).
>
> I have 1 master node and 3 slave nodes. The 1st slave node is in the same datacenter as the master node. The 2 other
> slave nodes are in a 2nd distant datacenter.
>
> Say node 1 is the master node, node 2 is the local slave node, and nodes 3 and 4 are the slave nodes in the distant
> datacenter.
>
> After installation of the streaming replication, I have checked that all the files have been copied from the master
> the slaves and that files have the same size and modification date on each node.
> When I send update requests, the streaming replication works perfectly; I am able to replicate many thousands of
> updates per second.
> I have updated, inserted and deleted nearly 70% of the rows in all the tables (mainly update requests), and
> replication is working perfectly.
>
> However; when I want to promote node 3 as the master, I need to rsync all the logs and databases from node 3 to node
> 4, node 1 and node 2.

That is a popular misconception.

Assuming you've got your WAL repositories well organized and your
standbys are configure to follow latest timeline...

You should be able to repoint the existing standbys and even the
demoted master just by creating or changing recovery.conf as needed
and restarting all standbys.

I did a talk about that at Pg-East 2010 based on Pg 8.4.  It all still
seems to work now with streaming replication and hot-standby as well.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting