Re: PGError: server closed the connection unexpectedly

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: PGError: server closed the connection unexpectedly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dave Steinberg <dave-pgsql@redterror.net> writes:

> My biggest problem is the lack of any real error message on the server.
>     I don't see anything wrong in the system logs, and there's no core
> file in the /var/postgresql directory.

Are you sure core files are enabled; i.e. the server is running with
'ulimit -c unlimited' ?

>     I did a 'vacuumdb -afz' just as
> a shot in the dark, without affect.  Pretty much all I see in the logs
> is this:
>
> <USER%DB x.y.z.a(51478) 487>LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

This means a client is dying or closing its connection prematurely,
and would seem to be a different problem.  It shouldn't ever cause the
server to crash.

> Googling turned up a few reports suggesting bad hardware, or corrupted
> indexes, but I don't think that's the case here.
>
> Any starting points or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure the server is able to dump a core file, and perhaps crank up
the logging level.

-Doug