PGError: server closed the connection unexpectedly

От Dave Steinberg
Тема PGError: server closed the connection unexpectedly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello list,

I've been working a bit today to resolve the error I'm seeing mentioned
in the title, and I was hoping you might have some insight.  I've
managed to semi-reliably reproduce this based on two different tasks:

- a pg_dumpall from my backup server will throw this, but not always on
the same database.  Sometimes it seems to get 'stuck' on one, but later
if I try it again it'll throw the error on a different DB.  The
pg_dumpall appears to work perfectly when run locally.

- A unit test for a Rails app I'm developing will consistently throw
this error, though oddly I can run the problem statement in psql, over
the network, without problem.

My biggest problem is the lack of any real error message on the server.
    I don't see anything wrong in the system logs, and there's no core
file in the /var/postgresql directory.  I did a 'vacuumdb -afz' just as
a shot in the dark, without affect.  Pretty much all I see in the logs
is this:

<USER%DB x.y.z.a(51478) 487>LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

Googling turned up a few reports suggesting bad hardware, or corrupted
indexes, but I don't think that's the case here.

Any starting points or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Basic server info:
- Less than 3 months old
- OpenBSD 3.8, patched fully, x86 w/ a P4
- 2G of Ram, ~1.5G free usually
- /var/postgresql partition has about 8G free, and is backed by a AMI
hardware raid-1 array.
- PostgreSQL version 8.0.3 on server and clients, built locally from
OpenBSD ports
- ruby-postgres adapter version 0.7.1 used in the rails project

Special OS Config bits:

- kern.seminfo sysctl tree:
kern.seminfo.semmni=256
kern.seminfo.semmns=2048