Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI  (Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 20:03 -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
>> What value does this bring to systems that have a good package system
>> and up-to-date repositories?  I can install Postgres today on Ubuntu
>> using a GUI tool, and install another GUI tool to configure and
>> adminsiter it.
>
> You can install, but what if you need different configure options than
> the package provides? This means a rebuild of the package. Instead, we
> will build and install that package via the installer.

That's actually a pretty cool idea--compile and generate debs/rpms
that reflect the user's choices, then install them.  But the
dependency on a compiler adds a twist of complexity--"sorry, you need
to install the following system packages (gcc, etc) before you can
install Postgres as you've configured it."  Not horrible, but perhaps
intimidating for the GUI crowd?  :)  Is gcc in the bog-standard
default install on FC these days?

Certainly you can install pre-built binaries without a compiler, and
let the user choose database location, autovacuum settings and stuff
like that.

Good luck!

-Doug

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI