Re: Postgres on Windows

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Postgres on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
ammar.fallaha@automata4.com ("Ammar Fallaha") writes:
> Anyone knows of a group to support Postgres on Windows?
>
> Obviously your group main concern is Postgres on Linux/UNIX.
>
> Searching on the internet is not resolving anything SPECIDIC to
> Postgres for Windows.

It's quite possible that most people happen to be running Postgres on
some flavour of Unix.  For a long time, that was the only option, so for
long time users, that has been pretty exclusively true.

But many of the issues are the same, regardless of platform, and so are
entirely appropriate to come here, whether relating to Windows or
otherwise.

If we added "pgsql.admin.windows" and "pgsql.admin.unix" lists, this
would likely worsen things because:

 - Issues not relating to platform would fit on pgsql.admin, and so
   users of Windows would need to subscribe to both pgsql.admin and
   pgsql.admin.windows

 - Similarly, Unix folk would be subscribing to pgsql.admin and
   pgsql.admin.unix

 - Sometimes people would get confused, or be uncertain where the
   problem lies, and post Unix or Windows issues on pgsql.admin, making
   this list look much like it is today

Add in extra not-much-worthwhile fodder such as:

 - People cross posting in multiple places, to make sure they're covered

 - People flaming one another because "that should have been posted on
   the other list!!!"

and you've got a bunch more traffic, without there being any additional
actual information.

I can pretty readily ignore posts about Windows-related issues on
pgsql.admin that don't apply to me; that seems a better thing than
trying to add a deeper layering of lists that is likely to be
counterproductive.
--
"cbbrowne","@","linuxfinances.info"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/multiplexor.html