Re: GNU readline and BSD license

От Michael Alan Dorman
Тема Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> If there is something functionally wrong with Readline then let's talk
> about it, but let's not replace it with something because some PHP dude
> said that RMS said something.

ncftp used to be for non-commercial use only and had hooks to be
linked against readline.  RMS threatened legal action, which caused
the developer to change the license to GPL, which was what RMS wanted.

So, whatever your opinion of his reasoning and motives, etc., it is
undoubtedly RMS's intention to use readline as a point of leverage to
get projects to go GPL.

Personally, I agree with him.  Many don't.

Mike.