Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
mike@fuhr.org (Michael Fuhr) wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:29:52PM +0100, Andy Shellam wrote:
>> I'm using a great little Linux program called "monit" to check that
>> there's something listening on the 5432 port.  It also monitors
>> individual process memory and CPU usage etc.  Quite good.
>
> A server can be quite broken yet still respond to transport- and
> network-layer probes like TCP connections and pings.  Some NMSs
> support custom monitors, so whenever possible I like to do
> application-layer tests to ensure that the server not only accepts
> connections but is indeed behaving as expected.

I'd generally agree with this; it points to having tests that aren't
so much about PostgreSQL as they are about the applications using
PostgreSQL...

>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> >
>> > The subject kinda says it all ... I know there are SNMP patches
>> > available out there now, but without those ... ?
>
> MRTG can generate graphs of anything you can write a script to
> measure, as long as the script returns output in a certain format.
> Other packages of that ilk probably have similar capabilities.

Our NOC group runs "replication tests" against various servers that
feed MRTG; they point at a view that is normally frequently updated,
and check to see how elderly the latest value is.

On replicated nodes, this checks the health of replication.

On "master" nodes, this checks the health of the application itself.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html

Сообщение: Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being
Сообщение: Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being