Re: Warm Standby on 8.4.7

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: Warm Standby on 8.4.7
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Alanoly Andrews <alanolya@invera.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to set up a warm standby pair of postgres instances
> without using the pg_standby utility? The PG manuals appear to say it
> is possible. But I dont see the details of how to set this up. How
> do you keep the standby instance in permanent recovery mode?

Certainly if you implement the same or possibly extended logic yourself
in whatever language you are comfortable with.

Myself and others have been doing warm-standby since WALs were invented
:-)

When the company I work for started requiring that WS servers be helf
back a configurable time lag from production, I made some minor mods to
our version of the standby script, now written in Python, to make it
happen.

WALs now have to pass sanity and aging checks before being applied.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting