Re: Couldn't start postgres, got no logging, ran postgres manually for info-- help?

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: Couldn't start postgres, got no logging, ran postgres manually for info-- help?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Wells Oliver <wellsoliver@gmail.com> writes:

> Alright but what's odd to me is that it's a standard out of the box ubuntu configuration, meaning:
>
> log_destination is 'stderr'
> logging_collector is on
> log_directory is /var/log/postgresql/
> log_filename is postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log
>
> When I ran pg_ctlcluster start, I only received "please check the log output", but there were no errors logged. There
> are definitely log items when the server was running normally.
>
> When I ran postgres manually, I saw the permissions issue. My question then is where was this error sent when running
> pg_ctlcliuster, or why was it squashed? It would have been helpful to have that from the start.

Speculating here, but the bit about "please check the logs" is
probably generic to pg_ctl and an error such as bad $PGDATA perms
might be detected so early as to halt startup even before  something
like logging_collector is run and/or fully operational.

That is, there might be a few types of errors that will be reported on
/dev/tty or /dev/stderr in such a case and the "check logs" message is
misleading.

Consult your source code though for definitive answer :-)

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting