Re: Help me recovering data

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Help me recovering data
Дата
Re: Help me recovering data  (Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > I wonder if I should point out that we just had 3 people suffering XID
> > wraparound failure in 2 days in the IRC channel...
>
> I have had half a dozen new customers in the last six months that have
> had the same problem. Nothing like the phone call:

How are so many people doing so many transactions so soon after installing?

To hit wraparound you have to do a billion transactions? ("With a `B'") That
takes real work. If you did 1,000 txn/minute for every minute of every day it
would still take a couple years to get there.

And most databases get a mix of updates and selects. I would expect it would
be pretty hard to go that long with any significant level of update activity
and no vacuums and not notice the performance problems from the dead tuples.

What am I missing. Is there a significant percentage of the user base that's
doing nothing but loading huge static databases and then performing massive
loads (like thousands of queries per second) of purely read-only queries
against them?

--
greg