Re: Getting to beta1

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Getting to beta1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:

> Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> Maybe some more admin level tutorial would be great to have too, such as
>> how to find what's locking, how to monitor table and index usage to
>> determine which indexes to drop, which to create, how to monitor
>> <things> (slaves lag, hitratio, transactions, I/U/D activity, you name
>> it).
>>

> Wow, that's at least one order of magnitude more ambitious than the actual
> scope of work on the docs that should be getting focused on for beta right
> now, perhaps two.

Yes, I took the message as an opportunity to talk about how much stuff
we'd like to add in the tutorial, then I'll see about spending time on
it if core agrees with the need. There's no reason I'd want this to
happen pre-beta unless it's about hard to grasp things we want lots of
people to test. So we're in agreement here...

Maybe it's time to start another thread if people want to follow-up on
expanding our tutorial.

>  Regardless, I already have stubs for the first couple of
> these sitting on the wiki at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Administration (locks, monitoring).
> I know I'd rather see work done on those, where we can continue to improve
> without doc commits and easily make things available for all versions, until
> that content is good.  Maybe then we can talk about merging some of that
> back into the main docs.

Some kind of canonical reference on how to use the catalogs and system
view to realise common tasks does not seem out of place in the tutorial
for me.

As far as using the wiki to prepare the content, +1.
--
Dimitri Fontaine
PostgreSQL DBA, Architecte