Re: polyphase merge?

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: polyphase merge?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 10:55 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
>> Is this basically the same as our current algorithm but without
>> multiplexing the tapes onto single files? I have been wondering
>> whether we multiplex the tapes any better than filesystems can lay out
>> separate files actually.
>
> I don't think you'll be able to do that more efficiently than we already
> do. Read the top of tuplesort.c

Huh?

The question I posed was whether we do it any better than filesystems do, not
whether we could do a better job. If filesystems can do as good a job then we
might as well create separate files for each tape and let the filesystem
decide where to allocate space. That would mean we could massively simplify
logtape.c and just create a separate file for every tape.

Possible reasons that filesystems could do better than us are that they have
access to more information about actual storage layout on disk, that they have
more information about hardware characteristics, and that it would give the
filesystem cache a better idea of the access pattern which logtape.c might be
confusing the picture of currently.

On the other hand possible reasons why filesystems would suck at this include
creating and deleting new files being a slow or locking operation on many
filesystems, and dealing with directories of large numbers of files being
poorly optimized on others.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!