Re: running PostGres without installing it

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: running PostGres without installing it
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
amadeus0@cox.net (Amadeus Zilfinski) wrote:
> My only real issue with PostgresQL is that it is a client/server
> database, that is not embeddable. If it was embeddable then I could
> use it with no issue, and would in fact rather use it. I recall some
> people are working on that, but don't have any links. You might want
> to try www.postgresql.org and see if they any info on there.

No, there is *not* an a set of people working on "making PostgresQL
embeddable"; it has been talked about, but never taken particularly
seriously.

There's a way to do *a sort of embedding*, but one that specifically
ignores the notion of doing this in an in-process manner.

You could hide a PostgresQL instance, using a variant port, generally
making it pretty hidden away.  Initializing, starting, and stopping it
could be hidden inside the application.

But in no way would this be an embedding as is normally understood,
where all that's needful is to include a library and open the right
directory.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html