Re: Database migration across different operating systems

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Database migration across different operating systems
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

 Natalie> We are in an unusual circumstance, where we need to move all
 Natalie> of our Postgres 10 databases from their homes on servers
 Natalie> running FreeBSD 11 with ZFS to servers in another data center
 Natalie> running Red Hat Linux 7.6 (also with ZFS), with minimal
 Natalie> downtime.

 [...]

 Natalie> We’ve tested this procedure on a small database, and it
 Natalie> starts, it runs, returns queries. There seems to be no issues.

 Natalie> Is this a reasonable approach? Are there any known
 Natalie> concerns/things to investigate before choosing this course?

Locales will bite you unless your databases all have lc_collate=C or
you're using ICU for all collations); you will need, at minimum, to
reindex every index containing a collatable column with an OS-provided
collation (i.e. not ICU and not C / POSIX).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)