Re: scalablility problem

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: scalablility problem
Дата
Re: scalablility problem
Список pgsql-performance
Quoth dingxn@cse.ohio-state.edu (Xiaoning Ding):
> When I run multiple TPC-H queries (DBT3) on  postgresql, I found the system
> is not scalable.  My machine has 8GB memory, and 4 Xeon Dual Core processor
> ( 8 cores in total). OS kernel is linux 2.6.9. Postgresql is 7.3.18. I

> I think it might be caused by some contentions. But I do not know postgresql
> much. May anybody give me some clue to find the reasons?

Two primary issues:

1.  You're running a horrendously ancient version of PostgreSQL.  The
7.3 series is Really Old.  Newer versions have *enormous*
improvements that are likely to be *enormously* relevant.

Upgrade to 8.2.

2.  There are known issues with the combination of Xeon processors and
PAE memory addressing; that sort of hardware tends to be *way* less
speedy than the specs would suggest.

There have been "context switching" issues on this sort of hardware
that are enormously worsened if you're running on a version of
PostgreSQL that is 4 major releases out of date.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','gmail.com').
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html