Re: scalablility problem

От: Xiaoning Ding
Тема: Re: scalablility problem
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
 Re: scalablility problem  ("Dave Dutcher", )
 Re: scalablility problem  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
   Re: scalablility problem  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: scalablility problem  (Ron Mayer, )
    Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
     Re: scalablility problem  (Dave Cramer, )
 Re: scalablility problem  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
   Re: scalablility problem  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: scalablility problem  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
 Re: scalablility problem  (Christopher Browne, )
  Re: scalablility problem  (Guido Neitzer, )
   Re: scalablility problem  (Michael Stone, )

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Quoth -state.edu (Xiaoning Ding):
>> When I run multiple TPC-H queries (DBT3) on  postgresql, I found the system
>> is not scalable.  My machine has 8GB memory, and 4 Xeon Dual Core processor
>> ( 8 cores in total). OS kernel is linux 2.6.9. Postgresql is 7.3.18. I
>
>> I think it might be caused by some contentions. But I do not know postgresql
>> much. May anybody give me some clue to find the reasons?
>
> Two primary issues:
>
> 1.  You're running a horrendously ancient version of PostgreSQL.  The
> 7.3 series is Really Old.  Newer versions have *enormous*
> improvements that are likely to be *enormously* relevant.
>
> Upgrade to 8.2.
8.2 is really much better.

> 2.  There are known issues with the combination of Xeon processors and
> PAE memory addressing; that sort of hardware tends to be *way* less
> speedy than the specs would suggest.
I think PAE slows each query process. It would not affect scalability.

> There have been "context switching" issues on this sort of hardware
> that are enormously worsened if you're running on a version of
> PostgreSQL that is 4 major releases out of date.
How does PG 8.2 address this issue? by setting processor affinity?

Thanks!

Xiaoning

От: Xiaoning Ding
Сообщение: Re: scalablility problem
От: Andrew - Supernews
Сообщение: Re: Scaling SELECT:s with the number of disks on a stripe